Saturday, November 12, 2022

Weighing Up What We See In The Media


I watched the recent Documentary New Zealand, “Web of Chaos” (available on TVNZ On Demand) and I was disturbed by it. I wasn’t sure what to make of it. I wanted to know what others thought so I asked around.

My concerns were that there are some very alarming things being said and done by the “far right”. There is no excuse for nastiness, threats of violence, including death threats, and for the intransigent proclamation of things that are simply not right. I was also concerned that Christians are seen as key players. The documentary explicitly, and through selected imagery at certain points, emphasised the role that Christians are playing. But I was also concerned that the documentary appeared to lack any balance.

It dealt largely with the social media algorithms that feed us more of the stuff we have already been watching, thus reinforcing those views, and with mis- and dis-information. Misinformation is defined as being inaccurate but spread with no malintent. Disinformation is a calculated campaign involving untruths. I was concerned that all of the accusations of mis- and dis-information were focused on the far right. What about the far left?

And, if it was biased in that way, was it disinformation criticising disinformation? Was it really a documentary or more a piece of propaganda?

I started watching already suspicious. And, I think I saw what I expected to see and I was agitated by it.

But I sensed the danger of getting sucked down a rabbit hole. Hence my desire to talk with others. Was I over-reacting. Was I being balanced and discerning?

Asking around, I discovered several things. Firstly, how few people had actually seen it. Secondly, how few people actually watch anything live. Some laughed and asked what TV was! But thirdly, some people had seen it but not the way I had. They had not seen it as anti-Christian nor as propaganda. They viewed it as far more of a factual documentary.

And so, I watched it again with that different pair of glasses on and I saw it differently. Maybe it wasn’t nearly as agenda-driven as I had suspected. We need to know about the power of the algorithms and about the hateful and untrue things being said by some. I still had some concerns about the way Christians were portrayed and about the lack of balance. You will find Christians across the political spectrum and with very good reasons. Some might be “right wing” on some issues and “left wing” on others. Not all Christians are extremists any more than all Muslims are terrorists, but that wasn’t acknowledged. And, as I say, there was no investigation of the mis- and dis-information on the far left, or what is driving that. However, I did realise that I had watched through a suspicious lens and that distorted how I saw it.

It highlighted several issues for me.

1.      I am embarrassed by “Christians” being involved in the extremes (on either side, but the current focus is on the right wing of politics). While the portrayal might not have been either sympathetic or balanced, the reality is that there are people who claim to be Christians but who are behaving very badly.

We might not be able to “control” them although, if they are in our churches, maybe we should have some tough conversations. They are giving Jesus a very bad name. Christians need to display at least some Christ-likeness and much of what we have seen has not been Christ-like. We need to disciple people to maturity.

And, maybe the good witness of the Christian community needs to be much more visible so that, at least, the world might realise that not all Christians are extremists. May they also see compassion and generosity and reasonableness that contrast with the view presented by the media.

Of course, not everybody who claims to be a Christian is. Some use the label as a convenience. The media might not be able to discern that and we can do little about it, other than provide a very different picture that might make people pause and compare.

2.      We need each other. I needed to talk to people who could bring balance. It is too easy for me to sit with own my thoughts when I need a wider perspective. The algorithms do create an echo chamber that can distort our views. We need to talk to people who agree with us on many things to see if they agree with us on this one. We need to talk to people who do not agree with us so that we are challenged to consider different angles.

I particularly like watching debates so that I can hear more than one view. I might disagree with one (or both) but, at least, I need to grapple with the arguments. I fear that we get precious few debates in our media now where we can hear diverse views.

3.      There is a huge need for discernment. In a polarised world full of competing claims, presented convincingly and professionally, how can we know what is right?

There is a great need to fact-check and research. We should have the attitude of the Bereans.

Acts 17:11      Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

And we need to recognise the power of the algorithms.  The restrictions of the Covid-19 pandemic allowed both unbelievers and believers more time to search the web for information and to unwittingly go down rabbit holes.

4.      Sin is not restricted to one political view. Much of the polarisation today stems from an unwillingness to acknowledge good in others. We are told that people in one category are totally evil while those in another are 100% good. We need to recognise that there is good in our opponents and evil in our supporters (and ourselves).

Those who are damning of one group often display the very characteristics they are condemning in others. Those campaigning against disinformation might use disinformation to do it. Those demanding tolerance might be intolerant. Those who campaign for freedom need to ensure they give freedom to others.

The Puritan immigrants to the United States in the early seventeenth century sought religious freedom yet did not extend religious freedom to others. Sin crouches at the door.

Christians are committed to truth. Let us not be among those peddling lies.

The so-called “culture wars” are raging. We might feel passionately about some of the things happening around us. In fact, we should. A lot is at stake. But it is easy to identify with one side or the other and for our views to then become twisted. Let’s keep talking to God, keep reading the scriptures and keep talking to each other. Let’s make sure our passion is well-directed and our behaviour reveals Jesus. Let’s lovingly challenge bad behaviour in each other and be open to correction from our friends. The honour of Jesus is at stake. And let’s keep praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 HTB Leadership Conference Recordings

Holy Trinity Brompton ( the church from which Alpha came) organises a leadership conference. The recordings of the 2023 speakers and seminar...